A Multidisciplinary Program
How to Apply
Because we offer a multidisciplinary program, we accept students from various academic backgrounds, including undergraduate majors in biology, chemistry, psychology or neuroscience. The ideal candidate for our program will have had biology (an introductory year plus some advanced course work), chemistry through biochemistry, calculus, physics and psychology. Most applicants have had laboratory research experience.
The deadline to apply for admission is December 1, 2020.
Recruitment for the Neurobiology and Behavior Graduate Program is generally run through the Interdepartmental Neuroscience Program (INP) gateway program. In special cases, students may be permitted to apply directly to Neurobiology and Behavior Department. Please contact Naima Louridi for details.
Interdepartmental Neuroscience Program (INP)
INP is a one-year gateway program composed of six departments (Anatomy & Neurobiology, Developmental and Cell Biology, Neurobiology & Behavior, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Physiology and Biophysics, and Pathology & Laboratory Medicine). Students admitted to this program can rotate through any of the labs in these departments that broadly represent neuroscience research across the UCI campus, and are not committed to a Department during their laboratory rotations. Once students have chosen a research lab, they join the department in which their advisor is appointed. Students who select advisors in the Department of Neurobiology and Behavior would join this program, which ultimately confers the graduate degree.
We accept applications for fall entrance only. To apply, each applicant must complete the online Graduate Application for Admission to UCI (https://grad.uci.edu/admissions/index.php).
The Admission Committee will be able to consider your application for Fall 2021 when the following items have been received. Please send official copies only.
• Online Application: https://apps.grad.uci.edu/ogsa
• Application Deadline: December 1, 2020
• Application Fee:
- Domestic Applicants – There is a $120.00 application fee. You may use your credit card when applying on-line.
- Foreign Applicants – May pay the $140 application fee with either MasterCard or Visa credit card when applying on-line. Do not send cash.
• Official Transcripts (one copy): All transcripts from your post-secondary institutions. For foreign applicants, please also include a Certificate of Graduation indicating your Bachelor’s Degree award.
• Three Letters of Recommendation: Reference forms for use by the recommender are included in your on-line application. Recommenders may also submit hard copies of their letters.
• Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General Test Scores: The GRE’s are NOT required for the NBB application and admissions process.
• TOEFL and TSE Scores: Only foreign students are required to submit their TOEFL and TSE Scores to indicate their English proficiency. For score reporting, the institution code is 4859.
Successful applicants are usually invited to visit UCI and are notified of admission decisions soon after their visit. Responses to admission offers are expected by April 15.
Please address inquiries to:
Mailing Address for inquiries:
Department of Neurobiology and Behavior
University of California, Irvine
2205 McGaugh Hall
Irvine, CA 92697
Strength in Diversity
UCI’s students, faculty and staff are a culturally and ethnically diverse community, which is evident in the wide range of cultural activities, clubs and organizations on campus. Because we, like the rest of UCI, are committed to maintaining this international atmosphere, applications from women and underrepresented student populations are encouraged.